IP Address Management IPAM software for small ISP

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 16:21:45 UTC 2012

On Dec 20, 2012, at 10:01 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/12, Charles N Wyble <charles-lists at knownelement.com> wrote:
>> Zenoss works very well as a cmdb.
>
> Zenoss is very visually appealing, but a monitoring system for network
> hosts, not a CMDB.
>
> In particular,  except through extensive custom programming,  I see no
> mechanism to manage CIs with it or query for facts...
>
> Zenoss doesn't seem to have any way you can represent or, query, or
> model a fact  that a certain IP address terminates in Vlan X,  on
> device Y, with default gateway IP G that has NSAP ID H,   and device Y
>   lives  in   building A room 1 aisle 2 rack 4   rack slot number 5,
> fed by  breakers  186 and 237,  with upstream Ethernet cable ID #G296R
> plugged into port  39 on  patch panel 2,   which lands on Switch K
> port Gig8/44.

> Networks have many "items of importance"  that are not hosts, also,
> and are not readily modelled using SNMP.

Much less the application layer, physical SW installs or logical groupings layer, or a virtual hosts or internal cloud stack layer.   Or tie ins to the release management or DevOps control layer.

I know this is NANOG, but configuration control runs a ways up the stack...  A proper CMDB will have to be able to take a much bigger picture.

Not to slight Zenoss; it's good at what it does do.  But that's not a CMDB.

That is not to suggest that products that handle a limited slice of the stack in a more organized manner are not valuable.  Every little bit helps, in the current absence of a delivered off-the-shelf comprehensive product.

But if you've ever watched a comprehensive product run, partnered with a systems deploy tool with all the business logic on physical anti-affinity for power, rack, network layers, ...  Provisioning a 1000+ node, 60+ server types app environment into a data center with one command line, selected, booted, network side VLANs allocated and configured, apps installed, apps configured, and ready for traffic...

The data to be able to pull that off can be gathered and can be managed and used effectively.  That's the power of a real, comprehensive CMDB.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone