why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

eric clark cabenth at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 15:34:09 UTC 2012

You didn't include RJ11 in your question.... it goes back further.

One reason is that as we push the limits of cable from CAT3 (10meg) to CAT5
(100meg) to 5E (gig) to 6 (not sure what that was for) to 7 (10gig), the
cable doesn't get any smaller. We're dealing with higher and higher
frequencies of changes on the wire. This makes cross talk and interference
a bigger problem, so the twists and insulation are more important to try to
protect from those issues (sometimes shielding). So the cable hasn't gotten
any smaller. The connector works well enough and allows for these distances
to be maintained. Some vendors have found ways to maintain the twists
farther into the RJ45 by essentially using traces and not just lining the 8
wires up in parallel but stacking them in a staggered fashion...

Obviously, a new connector could have been found, but why haven't we
changed the C13 that HP came up with (at least I think they did) back in
the 50s? Its still the defacto standard for all computer input power. As a
matter of fact, most NEMA specs haven't changed since they were created...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The only problem with the RJ45 is the hook.