why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

Matthew Black Matthew.Black at csulb.edu
Fri Dec 21 14:53:22 UTC 2012

Are you talking about the "N" connectors with those 802.3 transceiver cables, BNC connectors (10Base5), or an Type RJ45 (10Base-T) telco style connector?

I couldn't find anyone selling multi-step thicknet strippers in the late 1980s, so I had to use a Xacto knife to prepare thicknet cable and then crimp about 20 N connectors. Data General donated 8 workstations and CAD circuit-design software to our University. The workstations used N-style transceivers instead of those with vampire taps.

What a nightmare!  )-;

matthew black
california state university, long beach