IP Address Management IPAM software for small ISP

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 03:48:31 UTC 2012

On 12/20/12, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
> On (2012-12-20 03:24 +0000), Blake Pfankuch wrote:
[snip]>
> For me, humans would not do much directly with the tool. They'd give it
> large chunk of resource. Then maybe mine it to pools like 'coreLink',
> 'coreLoop', 'custLink', 'custLAN' etc.
> Then in your provisioning tools, you'd request resource from specific pool
> via restful API. Humand would never manually write RD/RT/IP/VLAN in the
[snip]

A CMDB that tracks configuration items.   An IP address is just one
kind of CI out of thousands.   A good  CMDBs should ideally provide
efficient management, visualization, and reporting for  all kinds of
CIs

Software that tracks such things should understand the internal
structure of every kind of CI it tracks,  and be able to easily answer
simple questions, (eg.  Which VLAN ID is assigned to the subnet that
IP address Y belongs to.      If      IP Address Y is   part of a
static NAT configuration, on a LAN router, what external IP address
and external VLAN Id is this IP associated with?).

But is there a decently scalable open source application for building
a CMDB,  that is  visually appealing and efficient for humans to use,
without a ton of manual development;  other than custom building
applications and SQL schema by hand,  for each kind of CI?

I am not aware of one....

--
-JH