why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Dec 20 18:20:11 UTC 2012

I was looking at a Raspberry Pi board and was struck with how large the ethernet
connector is in comparison to the board as a whole. It strikes me: ethernet
connectors haven't changed that I'm aware in pretty much 25 years. Every other
cable has changed several times in that time frame. I imaging that if anybody
cared, ethernet cables could be many times smaller. Looking at wiring closets,
etc, it seems like it might be a big win for density too.

So why, oh why, nanog the omniscient do we still use rj45's?

Mike