IP Address Management IPAM software for small ISP

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Dec 20 07:11:43 UTC 2012

On (2012-12-20 03:24 +0000), Blake Pfankuch wrote:

> I actually was doing research on this today as well.  Anyone have any experience with the solutions that implement VLAN management as well like Gestioip?

I'm not remotely interested in externally developed software for this
problem. But it's fair question. Generally this tool should not be IP or
VLAN based but generic resource reservation tool, IP, VLAN, RD, RT,
VPLS-ID, site-id, pseudowireID what have you.

For me, humans would not do much directly with the tool. They'd give it
large chunk of resource. Then maybe mine it to pools like 'coreLink',
'coreLoop', 'custLink', 'custLAN' etc.
Then in your provisioning tools, you'd request resource from specific pool
via restful API. Humand would never manually write RD/RT/IP/VLAN in the
tool or in the configs. And this type of system is vastly simpler than the
IPAMs I see listed, once you get rid of all the UI candy, it gets rather
easy problem to solve.

--
  ++ytti