William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Mon Dec 17 21:28:28 UTC 2012

Drifting a big off topic for NANOG (but hey, that happens every /pi/
days anyways!), but I'll toss this in...

Like every other legal incident, it would be unique to your own
situation.  Keep in mind that, should any of the charges you mentioned
go to court, the prosecution would have to prove /mens rea/ (intent).
They would have to prove that you intended to cause the drives to be
wiped specifically because you did not want them admitted as evidence.

If you weren't even home at the time the warrant was executed, the worst
lawyer in the world would be able to argue that you have the system in
place to prevent sensitive data from leaving in the event of common
theft, and that it's not your fault the police triggered it (and suggest
that maybe they should add "scan for an intense EM field" to their
standard procedures when dealing with computer equipment :p ).

If you were home at the time (or knew that a warrant was being executed,
e.g. if the police show up at your workplace to inform you), things
would be a lot dicier.  Actively hitting the "turn on the system" button
would definitely be bad news for you. However, simply not turning it off
as the officers are walking out the door, well... it was a VERY
stressful situation for you, with all the police running all over your
house, and you simply forgot about the system until much later (or so
your lawyer could argue).

There would definitely be some unhappy people with the situation
regardless, and either way you'll be contributing to buying your lawyer
a new car.  ;)

Now, having said all that... I'm not sure I'd want to pay the
electricity bill for keeping that degausser running... :p

- Pete