Fiber only in DataCenters?

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Dec 17 17:22:08 UTC 2012

On 12/17/12 9:01 AM, James Wininger wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Looking for input from "providers" as well as "consumers" of data center space and facilities. Specifically speaking to the types of available physical cross connects.
>
> Are there data centers out there that are "fiber only"? That is to say that the cross connects are fiber only and no copper cross connects are available?
>
> I understand that fiber is great and all, but to my knowledge there are a lot of folks still using and needing copper cross connects. Am I wrong?
If the facility is big enough the utility of twisted pair becomes quite
limited, both due to distance and differing electrical potential,
multibuilding campuses in particular make this is a nonstarter.

In one facility I'm in, I'm over 300 meters from each of the MMRs, with
the results that the OOB for the serial console server for out equipment
located out there in the MMR's being on serial over fiber transceivers
connected by om4 multimode.