Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Sun Dec 16 20:40:53 UTC 2012

On 12/15/2012 02:13 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
> 3 weeks is plenty for a service that in 6 months you may see degraded to 12/13 capacity

... or 21/22 capacity, if you have IPv6. :) And the v6 address of D is
not changing.

FWIW I agree with the "tempest in a teapot" assessment. I think UMD has
given more than adequate notice, and I'm looking at this from not only
my perspective as former IANA-dude, but also as someone who formerly
would have been the person to update this in FreeBSD. From a real,
operational perspective, this is simply not that big a deal. In fact,
it's hardly a deal at all.

Doug