btw, the itu imploded

Phil Regnauld regnauld at nsrc.org
Sun Dec 16 20:31:09 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 12:20:57PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:

> I'm certain that most of you have already noticed how cutting off the
> Internet is now on page 1 of every country's list of "Things to do when
> there is an uprising ..."

	In Egypt, this may actually have led to the opposite of what the regime
	in place expected. Not the best source, but to illustrate:

	http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/01/egyptian-protestors-ditch-tech-use-word-of-mouth-to-mobilize/1

	It was argued that because there was no access to the net, and no
	other way to find out what was really going on, Egyptian citizens
	got off their couches and down into the street, which in some
	cases got some people to take sides and join the protests.

	Case of damned if you do, and damned if you don't, as far as
	censorship goes.

	Phil