Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Sun Dec 16 18:23:16 UTC 2012

On 12-12-16 07:07, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> No-one's dictating: I'm just asking them politely to take some suggestions
> into consideration - suggestions which no-one has so far pointed out as
> being unreasonable, and which I would tend to view as being procedurally
> sensible and good things to do.  That's all.

I believe you are assuming that the department which runs tne root
server at UMD has a choice in the matter.

Consider a campus-wide IPv4 address space reorganisation to make better
use of their available space. It would make sense to do this during
summer when students are away. Having to stop using that IP by June
would fit that scenario.

The scarcity of IPv4 will result in more and more streamlining of
network address spaces within organisations.

While I have seen this announcement because I subscribed to nanog, I
wouldnt be surprised to see that news spread via many other means.

And how much more warning would one really need ?

It isn't as if they were to announce that the end of the world will be
this coming friday. (that one was announced centuries ago and isn't
getting much press :-)

This is a simple change, the internet will not stop running. It may take
an extra second to reboot the bind servers that haven't gotten updates.