Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Sun Dec 16 01:11:55 UTC 2012

On 12-12-15 19:45, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> widespread notice of what's happening and generally not poking around with
> really important bits of the Internet at times which are well known for
> having configuration freezes and/or when many people are going to be on
> holidays.

You have 6.75 months to implement this before the current IP address no
longer works. Use idle time during holidays to plan when you will do
this change if your configs are frozen during holidays.

I did react with a sense of urgency when I first read the message, but
once you re-read it, you realise the timing and advance notice are
plenty sufficient.

> Software update release
> cycles often take many months to roll out, particularly for non OSS code.

Those one support can get a patch from their vendor or simple
instructions on how to edit their root.honts file to change an IP
address it in (or use dig to get the new one).

> This change wasn't planned over a coffee last thursday morning.  It's
> obviously been on the cards for several years,

But probably can't make an announcement until everything has been approved.

Also, if you annouce something that will happen 1 year from now, more
people will just postpone the change and forgot about it.