Re: Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sat Dec 15 23:07:18 UTC 2012

On Dec 15, 2012, at 2:32 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
> 3 weeks is not a lot of time to inform every recursive service
> operator in the world that there is a change coming.

Given the impact of the change, I figure 3 weeks is plenty.

> Remember nameservers will start logging warning messages as of January 3rd.

And if they do, recursive service operators who haven't seen the message will (if they care) update their root hints. This seems to be exactly the right thing. I fail to see the concern here.

> There is a big difference between 'This is just fallout from D
> changing it's address' to 'What does this message mean and do I have
> to worry?'

Are BIND's warning messages so opaque that someone who is looking at name server log messages can't figure out that the warning is talking about a root server IP address being changed?

The handwringing over this issue is a bit over the top.

Regards,
-drc