Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri Dec 14 20:01:27 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 02:46:49PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

	the smart-ass answer to the nagging question on prefix reuse
	is:

	"Top Men are working on it"

	A more reasoned (maybe) response might be:

	To my knowledge, there is tension between creating "golden" addresses
	and address flexablity/reuse.   I'd really like to swing back toward
	address flexability/reuse, but there is a whole lot of inertia behind
	the "golden" address crowd.

	Of the six renumbering events that come to mind, four of the prefixes
	are sequestered.  The two that are not were in net 10.  I am unaware of
	-anyone- who still points at the old addresses in net 10 space.

	I think there were other renumbering events, but have not kept track
	of the old prefix use.

/bill