Re: Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Dec 14 17:56:55 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Nick Hilliard" <nick at foobar.org>

> It would be really good to have a formal public statement of intent from
> UMD about their long term plans for 128.8.10.90 after retirement so that we
> don't have a repeat of the L root hijacking debacle in 2008.

Quite so: UMD: Where will the old IP route after the 6 month period is
complete?  Somewhere safe?

In point of fact, ISTM that there *is no way* to make this completely safe;
granted that it's a low percentage attack, and thus probably not useful
to actual attackers, but the possibility exists that someone could hijack
that block at a provider level, and provide their own replacement for that
old server IP.

But of course, they can do it *now*, too, so I guess it doesn't matter
anymore.

Cheers,
-- jra