Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri Dec 14 17:54:10 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:45:00PM -0500, Joe Abley wrote:

> These changes have happened before (other root servers have renumbered). I have never heard of an operational problem caused by such an exercise, and I guarantee there are resolvers running happily today with hints files that are *ancient*.
>
> Joe

	i had one, back last century, when B renumbered. the old address of B was the last
	working address in the bootstrap file from 1986.  :)

	i'm fairly confident that 99.9999% of all the existant bootstrap files on the Internet
	today contain at least 9 working IP addresses for root nameservers.

	That said,  its -very- important to ensure (at each ISP, worldwide) that you have
	reachability to the new prefix.

	(wrt notification, I'm persuaded its valid and that the notice will be sent to many
	more groups as the hours/days progress ...  remember, its not a flash change)

/bill