Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri Dec 14 16:59:19 UTC 2012

Matthew Newton wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 04:42:46PM +0000, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>> On 13/12/2012 22:54, Jason Castonguay wrote:
>>> Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.
>> You've just given 3 weeks notice for a component change in one of the few
>> critical part of the Internet's infrastructure, at a time when most
>
> I think that /was/ the advance notification - you've got 6 months :)
>
>  "The old address will continue to work for at least six months
>   after the transition, but will ultimately be retired from
>   service."

So really stupid question, and hopefully it's just me, do I need to do something
on my servers?

Second question: I know that renumbering is important in the abstract, but is there
really an overwhelming reason why renumbering the root servers is critical? Shouldn't
they all be in PI space for starters?

Mike