Gmail and SSL

Maxim Khitrov max at mxcrypt.com
Fri Dec 14 16:33:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Peter Kristolaitis <alter3d at alter3d.ca> wrote:
> On 12/14/2012 10:47 AM, Randy wrote:
>>
>> I don't have hundreds of dollars to get my ssl certificates signed
>

> You can get single-host certificates issued for free from StartSSL, or for
> very cheaply (under $10) from low-cost providers like CheapSSL.com.  I've
> never had a problem having my StartSSL certs verified by anyone.

This doesn't solve the problem if you have your own internal PKI or
want to use a certificate that is valid for more than a year. StartSSL
is a good option, but not everyone will be able to switch for a
variety of reasons. Google should provide a way of uploading trusted
root CAs (including self-signed certs) if they want to perform strict
validation.

- Max