Strict route filtering at IX?

Dan Luedtke mail at danrl.de
Wed Dec 12 11:22:09 UTC 2012

Hi NANOGers,

tl;dr What is the best practice for filtering a large number of
prefixes at an internet exchange?

Yesterday I ran into problems while writing new filtering rules for
my peerings at a local Exchange. My workflow probably has a flaw,
although it works fine for IPv6 (well, less prefixes there).

After the physical link was set up I startet a BGP session with the
route server of the exchange. A few minutes later some other AS
imported my prefix, e.g. those listed at HE[1]. I guess they filtered
"less strict" :)
The next day the exchange's route server administrator added my AS-SET
to the AS-SET of the route server.