Why do some providers require IPv6 /64 PA space to have public whois?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Dec 11 00:07:58 UTC 2012

In message <272782D1-8DEA-4718-9429-8B0505DD30BD at delong.com>, Owen DeLong write
s:

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Dec 10, 2012, at 3:02 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>
> >=20
> : I
> >> Pv6 /64
> >>=20
> >> Quite the opposite in fact. In IPv6 a /64 is roughly equivalent to a /32
> >> in IPv4. As in, it's the smallest possible assignment that will allow an
> >> end-user host to function under normal circumstances.
> >>=20
> >> SWIP or rwhois for a /64 seems excessive to me, FWIW.
> >>=20
> >> Doug
> >=20
> > Even SWIP for a /48 for a residential assignment is excessive.
> > SWIP for a /48 for a commercial assignment is reasonable
> >=20
>
> I disagree. SWIP for a /48 with the appropriate notations under residential c
> =
> ustomer privacy policy provides a good balance between the need for public a=
> ccountability of resource utilization and privacy concerns for residential c=
> ustomer assignments.
>
> Owen

You don't SWIP each residential customer with IPv4.  You often SWIP blocks
of residential customers down to the pop level.
You often SWIP each commercial customer with IPv4.

To require a SWIP entry for each residential customer is bureaucracy
gone mad.  Additionally there is no technical need for this.  It
isn't needed for address accountability.  Residential customers
have historically been treated in bulk.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org