Why do some providers require IPv6 /64 PA space to have public whois?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Dec 10 23:58:46 UTC 2012

On Dec 10, 2012, at 2:53 PM, Ian Smith <I.Smith at F5.com> wrote:

>> Quite the opposite in fact. In IPv6 a /64 is roughly equivalent to a /32 in IPv4. As in, it's the smallest possible assignment that will allow an end-user host to >function under normal circumstances.
>
>> SWIP or rwhois for a /64 seems excessive to me, FWIW.
>
> IPv4/32 is both a routing endpoint and a host.  IPv4 is a 32 bit combined routing and host space.
>
> IPv6/64 is a routing endpoint and v6/128 is a host.   IPv6 is a 64 bit routing space and also a 64 bit host space for each routing space, not a 128 bit combined routing and host space.

You can make a /128 a routing endpoint in IPv6 just like a /32 in IPv4 with all the same rules, restrictions, and limitations.

> Evidently, the whois requirement is for networks, not nodes, which makes sense when you think about how the entity that controls a /64 is assuming responsibility for 2^64 network nodes.

Correct (in the first part). In reality, nobody has 2^64 nodes, that's more than the square of the current host addressing available in all of IPv4. You'll never see a /64 full of hosts. For one thing, there's no concept for switching hardware that could handle that large of a MAC adjacency table, nor is there ever likely to be such.

Owen