Why do some providers require IPv6 /64 PA space to have public whois?

Schiller, Heather A heather.schiller at verizon.com
Mon Dec 10 21:27:20 UTC 2012

Actually, requiring a public whois record is the way it always has been, that's only recently changed.   I think most folks would agree that, IPv4 /32 :: IPv6 /128 as IPv4 /29 :: IPv6 /64  So, while you are right, that swip'ing a v4 /32 has never been required, I think your analogy of a v6 /64 to a v4 /32 is off.  The minimum assignment requiring a swip is also ensconced in RIR policy.  If you don't like it, may I suggest you propose policy to change it?

RIPE's policy:
" When an End User has a network using public address space this must be registered separately with the contact details of the End User. Where the End User is an individual rather than an organisation, the contact information of the service provider may be substituted for the End Users."

  Note the *may* -- ISP's aren't required to support it.

More RIPE policy..
"When an organisation holding an IPv6 address allocation makes IPv6 address assignments, it must register these assignments in the appropriate RIR database.

These registrations can either be made as individual assignments or by inserting a object with a status value of 'AGGREGATED-BY-LIR' where the assignment-size attribute contains the size of the individual assignments made to End Users.When more than a /48 is assigned to an organisation, it must be registered in the database as a separate object with status 'ASSIGNED'."

    So they have to register it, and they get a choice about how they do it.. Your provider has chosen a way you don't like.  Talk to them about it, rather than complaining on NANOG?

 It's pretty similar in the ARIN region.  In 2004, the ARIN community passed the residential customer privacy policy - specifically allowing ISP's to designate a record private.  Again, it's optional.

https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html

Min assignment swip
6.5.5.1. Reassignment information

Each static IPv6 assignment containing a /64 or more addresses shall be registered in the WHOIS directory via SWIP or a distributed service which meets the standards set forth in section 3.2. Reassignment registrations shall include each client's organizational information, except where specifically exempted by this policy.

IPv4
4.2.3.7.3.2. Residential Customer Privacy

To maintain the privacy of their residential customers, an organization with downstream residential customers holding /29 and larger blocks may substitute that organization's name for the customer's name, e.g. 'Private Customer - XYZ Network', and the customer's street address may read 'Private Residence'. Each private downstream residential reassignment must have accurate upstream Abuse and Technical POCs visible on the WHOIS directory record for that block.

IPv6
6.5.5.3. Residential Subscribers
6.5.5.3.1. Residential Customer Privacy

To maintain the privacy of their residential customers, an organization with downstream residential customers holding /64 and larger blocks may substitute that organization's name for the customer's name, e.g. 'Private Customer - XYZ Network', and the customer's street address may read 'Private Residence'. Each private downstream residential reassignment must have accurate upstream Abuse and Technical POCs visible on the WHOIS record for that block.

--Heather