Why do some providers require IPv6 /64 PA space to have public whois?

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 07:32:21 UTC 2012

On 8 December 2012 16:12, Dan Luedtke <mail at danrl.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> hmm, they get away with it once again. On the other hand their prices
> stay low.
>
> Off-topic but somehow important to me:
>> HE has an open-peering policy (AFAIK);
>> which basically means that tunnelbroker.net traffic is free for
>> hetzner.de
>
> Is that true?
> That would be great!

That's not actually off-topic, but the whole point of my thread:

It's being implied everywhere that native IPv6 is somehow important to
seek, since we're running out of IPv4 addresses.  I myself have
recently trolled on LowEndBox.com, annoying every new provider with a
"it's 2012, do you support IPv6?"-style questions.  Until I then
signed up with a couple of such established providers that did clearly
advertise "IPv6 support", and realised that, as long as there's
tunnelbroker.net, "native IPv6" is nothing more than purely a
marketing concept in situations where you are already getting a
dedicated server (either virtual or physical) as setting up a reliable
tunnel on such a server is just so damn easy, reliable, fast and
hassle-free.

I still think that native IPv6 is important for end-users at home and
on the go from the operator's perspective (T-Mobile USA is practically
ready to shutdown IPv4 w/ NAT44 and go with IPv6 + NAT64 + DNS64 +
464XLAT), but for individual servers close to an IX with HE.net, where
all native IPv4/IPv6 traffic has to go through that very same Internet
eXchange point anyways, native IPv6 can only be slower, more
expensive, more insecure and less feature rich.  And the providers
have no incentives (quite the opposite, as I've contemplated above),
since it's not like in the server room they could drop IPv4 support
any time soon anyways -- no client would approve.

In summary, I'd be very happy to try out hetzner.de's native IPv6 if
they sort it out one day and will offer short, abbreviatable
addresses, and without violating my privacy; until then, I'm very
happy with their prices and being a proven shop, and still happy to be
their customer with a bring-your-own IPv6 aka tunnelbroker.net. :-)

C.