TCP time_wait and port exhaustion for servers

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 16:28:36 UTC 2012

On 12/6/12 10:20 AM, Kyrian wrote:
> Also, if you are going to hack the kernel to make that change, I urge you to make it part of the sysctl mechanism as well, and to send a patch back to the kernel developers to help out others who might be in a similar situation to you. This is both to help
> the community, and give you an easier means to tweak the setting as needed in future without a further kernel recompile.

Of course, this whole problem would have gone away years ago, had more
folks implemented RFC6013.  Or prior recommendations going back 15+ years.

Meanwhile, my experience with the Linux kernel team is that about 1/2 of
the tweak will go in, and the rest will fall by the wayside.  Only about
1/3 of RFC6013 made it into 2.6.32, even though I started feeding them
code 6 months before publication.