/. ITU Approves Deep Packet Inspection

Tom Taylor tom.taylor.stds at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 23:07:00 UTC 2012

On 05/12/2012 2:11 PM, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> On 2012-12-05 14:01, Tom Taylor wrote:
>> I'm seriously not clear why Y.2770 is characterized as "negotiated
>> behind closed doors". Any drafts were available to all participants in
>> the ITU-T, on exactly the same terms as drafts of other Recommendations.
>> As an example, the draft coming out of the October, 2011 meeting can be
>> seen at http://www.itu.int/md/T09-SG13-111010-TD-WP4-0201/en. (I have
>> access delegated by a vendor to whom I have been consulting, by virtue
>> of their membership in the ITU-T.)
>
> So, how exactly can most people on for instance this list access that
> URL? You yourself would not be able to access it where it not that you
> found some loophole setup.

Agreed that the ITU-T is a membership organization, but the Questions
and Study Group work programs are open to view (Q. 17/13 specifically
covers DPI, and has more documents coming down the pipe). If you want to
follow some Question you can probably get access through your government
(State Dept. in the US, Dept. of Communications in Canada). The
membership rules don't apply so stringently to Rapporteurs' meetings, so
you can get in touch with the Rapporteur of a Question you are
interested in and find out where to get copies of documents contributed
into those meetings.

All this is by the by -- you are more likely to be affected by the IETF
than by anything coming out of the ITU-T.