/. ITU Approves Deep Packet Inspection

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:13:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Tom Taylor <tom.taylor.stds at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm seriously not clear why Y.2770 is characterized as "negotiated behind
> closed doors". Any drafts were available to all participants in the ITU-T,
> on exactly the same terms as drafts of other Recommendations. As an example,
> the draft coming out of the October, 2011 meeting can be seen at
> http://www.itu.int/md/T09-SG13-111010-TD-WP4-0201/en. (I have access
> delegated by a vendor to whom I have been consulting, by virtue of their
> membership in the ITU-T.)

I suspect people mean that trying to download anything off that broken
itu website gets you a page with:
   "If you have a TIES account, please login:"

not the document you wish to download... as compared to the other (one
other) 'internet standards body' website full of
'draft/proposed/finalized' standards and discussions there-of:
  <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/behave/>

which links to the:
  o open discussion mailing list(s)
  o open meeting minutes
  o current drafts and finalized standards
  o charter and etc...

open not 'open*' as the itu site is...

> I should mention that the "Next Generation Network" within the context of
> which this draft was developed is more likely to be implemented by old-line
> operators than by pure internet operations.

hurray?