/. ITU Approves Deep Packet Inspection

Tom Taylor tom.taylor.stds at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:01:41 UTC 2012

I'm seriously not clear why Y.2770 is characterized as "negotiated
behind closed doors". Any drafts were available to all participants in
the ITU-T, on exactly the same terms as drafts of other Recommendations.
As an example, the draft coming out of the October, 2011 meeting can be
seen at http://www.itu.int/md/T09-SG13-111010-TD-WP4-0201/en. (I have
access delegated by a vendor to whom I have been consulting, by virtue
of their membership in the ITU-T.)

I should mention that the "Next Generation Network" within the context
of which this draft was developed is more likely to be implemented by
old-line operators than by pure internet operations.

Tom Taylor