William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Tue Dec 4 21:25:59 UTC 2012

<SNIP HEADERS>

> > This is a misleading statement. ISP's (Common carriers) do not provide a
> knowingly
> > illegal offering, ... TOR  exit/entrance nodes provide only the former.
>
> This is also a misleading statement.  Explain the difference between
> a consumer ISP selling you a cable Internet plan knowing that NN% of
> the traffic will be data with questionable copyright status, and
> 1 of of 5 or so will be a botted box doing other illegal stuff,
> and a TOR node providing transit knowing that NN% will be similarly
> questionable etc etc etc.

You actually are saying what I said, just you misunderstand your own point. You clipped my entire statement to make it appear to say something else.

A TOR node, in and of itself, is not infrastructure for passing packets. It's a service on the infrastructure. I never implied that the traffic through/from the ISP or the TOR was more or less legal than the other.

> In other words, if TOR exit nodes provide a "knowingly illegal offering",
> then Comcast is doing exactly the same thing...

No they are not. See previous.

<SNIP ongoing blathering>

- Brian