William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

Aled Morris aledm at qix.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 10:36:38 UTC 2012

On 3 December 2012 07:19, Joakim Aronius <joakim at aronius.se> wrote:

>  I am all for providing anonymized access to help free speech. Perhaps its
> better with anon access to specific applications like twitter, fb etc and
> not general internet access. I suspect that the 'free speech' part of the
> total tor traffic volume is pretty small(?).

I agree.

I can understand that people need to be anonymous when they are going to
publicly stand against an oppressive regime, or expose corporate corruption
etc.  What I'm not sure I believe as strongly is the justification for
anonymity in private, closed communication - this is the use case for
paedophiles and terrorists organising their crimes.

So in my view, anonymous + public = OK, anonymous + private = doubtful.

This isn't a solution to the troll or hate crimes problem (anonymous people
making statements that are distasteful on public forums) but at least we
can all see this going on and develop other solutions.

Aled