William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

Joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Mon Dec 3 05:11:38 UTC 2012

On 11/29/12 23:18 , Joakim Aronius wrote:

> I am all for being anonymous on the net but I seriously believe that
> we still need to enforce the law when it comes to serious felonies
> like child pr0n, organized crime etc, we can't give them a free pass
> just by using Tor. I dont think it should be illegal to operate a Tor
> exit node but what just happened could be a consequence of doing it.

The seriousness of crimes that can be committed using anonymization
services should not be diminished. That said the motive I had for
running a tor exit when I did was that speech, and in particular
political organization (dare we call it sedition) are in fact very
serious crimes in many places. R.g. they can result in indefinite
imprisonment, torture, judicial or extra-legal execution and so forth, I
don't consider that unserious..

The internet is potentially quite a useful tool for getting your message
out so long as using it isn't  holding a gun to your own head. While we
site here with the convenient idea of some legal arbitrage which allows
me to do something which isn't illegal  in my own domain to facilitate
something that is quite illegal elsewhere, the fact of the matter is if
you run a service like this you don't get to pick and choose.