When an ISP should run their own IRR for customers

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 04:55:04 UTC 2012

On 12/1/12, ML <ml at kenweb.org> wrote:
> I'm querying the community on the feasibility of running my own IRR on
> behalf of customers whom probably aren't/won't register their own
> objects.  I'm going down this path since I don't believe RADB or ARIN
> would let me register objects on behalf of my customers.

It doesn't seem like a terribly good reason to want to start a new
IRR.    I wouldn't expect RADB to mirror.        What brought you to
the actual conclusion you won't be able to register the customer route
objects,   after receiving authorization from the customer?

Last I checked,  on RADB it's technically possible for any paying
maintainer to register a route object, as long as it's not already
registered under another mnt-by;   LEVEL3 and some others have in the
past commonly created proxy-registered routes for customers'
non-existent routes  to  facilitate  the creation of automatic route
filtering policy definitions.

And there are some AS objects  that also say they are proxy registered
in the remarks or description sections...

$ whois -h whois.radb.net as32114
aut-num:    AS32114
as-name:    WalkerMachine
descr:      This is a Proxy registered AS for Walker Machine by Lumos Networks.
mnt-by:     MAINT-AS7795

-JH