When an ISP should run their own IRR for customers

ML ml at kenweb.org
Sun Dec 2 01:20:51 UTC 2012

I'm querying the community on the feasibility of running my own IRR on
behalf of customers whom probably aren't/won't register their own
objects.  I'm going down this path since I don't believe RADB or ARIN
would let me register objects on behalf of my customers.

I know I'm going to need this in the near future once my AS starts to
peer.  Conservatively I would be proxy registering about 100 customers.

Would a potential upstream/peer NOT want to query my IRR because I'm not
RADB, ARIN, etc (Essentially not a well known registry)? If not, is it
likely my IRR could get mirrored by RADB so other networks can retrieve
good info via RADB.

If I was to run my own IRR is Merit's IRRd they way to go or is there
something better?

Thanks