Legal Crap [was: William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.]

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Dec 1 10:21:31 UTC 2012

On Nov 30, 2012, at 20:25 , Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>> Not a lawyer.
>
> than stfu with the legal crap

It amazes me how people feel free to opine on things like networking without a certification, but if you don't have a law degree, suddenly they believe you are incapable of understanding anything regarding the law.

As for "the legal crap", most of what is posted is not on-topic here.  There are laws & legal implications which are operational, though.  And even though I am not a lawyer, I need to understand them or I cannot do my job.  My lawyer is not going to pick which datacenter to lease, even if he knows a metric-ass-ton more about indemnification than I ever will (at least I hope than I ever will - that shit is BOOOOOOOOOORING).

I appreciate people who have researched and understand the topic giving their insights - just like I do regarding BGP, MPLS, IPv6... okay, no jokes about IPv6. :)  And, just like with networking topics, I do not appreciate people taking up 10K+ of their not-so-closest-friends' time with half-baked ideas from people who have not taken the time to understand the subject matter.  However, I do not believe the only way to go from the latter group into the former is to pass the bar.  (And if so, in what state/country? what specialty? etc., etc.)

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying: If all you have to say is "STFU", maybe you should take your own advice?

--
TTFN,
patrick