Bizarre (.bz) abuse report - are we alone?

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 03:27:41 UTC 2012

Sending an automated message over e-mail without a working reply
address in the From: field and SMTP sender address is   a type of
spam,  and  you might choose to report as such.  That is, the
"report"  itself is abuse,  because no mechanism is provided to reply
to a person who sent the message.       Domain/IP contacts are
contacts to be reached by humans, not  "dumping addresses" for
automatic message robots  that cannot handle replies and coordinate to
resolve issues.

If the message had a valid return path,  then it may make sense, to
reply with a message that states you require the destination IP
address that was supposedly attacked, before your investigation
starts.

If they have bonafide abuse to report,  then they should be
cooperative in providing sufficient details to efficiently locate
records of that abuse.

It would be understandable,  if any efforts to locate alleged abuse
based on such limited information were limited,  or deferred,   until
the reporter could  provide sufficient details to properly identify
the abuse in the future via monitoring,  or   by  extracting logs for
traffic to the reported destination addresses.

Those are my thoughts on the matter.

Regards,
--
-JH