172.0.0.0/12 has been Allocated

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Aug 23 19:17:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Ray Soucy wrote:

> Funny,
>
> Saw this post come through this morning; then got call today for ASA
> configuration help ... I noticed the guy had configured his ASA to use
> "private" networks of 172.100.0.0/24 and 172.200.0.0/24 ... I reminded
> him that they don't fall within RFC1918 but the response was "oh well,
> I don't care"
>
> I don't think AT&T will have much luck with that space if this is
> typical (something tells me it is).  I wonder how AOL does with it.

It's typical...but not contained within the "looks sort of like 1918
space" networks.  Do enough network support and you'll run into similar
stuff from time to time.  Fortunately, the damage is limited to the idiots
using IPs picked from their (or worse, they're overpaid/underqualified
consultants) asses not being able to reach the actual assignees of those
spaces.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |