172.0.0.0/12 has been Allocated

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Aug 23 14:18:45 UTC 2012

On Aug 23, 2012, at 10:04 AM, Blake Hudson <blake at ispn.net> wrote:

> How does one suddenly justify needing 1,000,000 more IP addresses (explosive expected growth in the next couple months?)

I can easily see people moving through those IPs in short order if you have a datacenter or other deployment you are working on.  I've heard stories from some of the popular sites about how they have consumed all the 'private' space for their internal-side servers/infrastructure so started to go after public IPs (in addition to IPv6) to workaround the problem.

AT&T hasn't seen the wireline subscriber growth, but I'm sure their wireless side, datacenter, and other needs are driving growth.

- Jared