Bird vs Quagga revisited

John Souter john at linx.net
Wed Aug 22 09:22:06 UTC 2012

On 22/08/12 06:19, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> ...Any feedback appreciated.

I can't speak too highly of BIRD.  Our use case is probably not
completely typical, but our multilateral peering route servers have been
hugely improved by switching to BIRD.  Our two primary route servers,
one for each LINX London LAN, use BIRD; the two secondaries use an
enhanced version of Quagga.

The BIRD route server scales better, gives much higher performance, is
much more robust, and is much easier to restart - especially when there
are lots of connected sessions.  The development team are fantastic:
very active and responsive, and especially responsive to the needs of
the IXP community.

Switching hats to Euro-IX, BIRD is now the most used route server
amongst IXPs, as can be seen from our latest annual report:
https://www.euro-ix.net/documents/1024-Euro-IX-IXP-Report-pdf?download=yes

John
--
John Souter, CEO, London Internet Exchange Ltd
Trinity Court, Trinity Street, Peterborough PE1 1DA.
https://www.linx.net/ "Working for the Internet" sip:john at linx.net