Bird vs Quagga revisited

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Wed Aug 22 05:19:39 UTC 2012

Sorry to disrupt the bad cabling thread, but I'd like to revisit a thread
from 2 years ago.  I have read over the NANOG presentations:
http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog48/presentations/Monday/Jasinska_RouteServer_N48.pdf
http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog48/presentations/Monday/Filip_BIRD_final_N48.pdf
as well as the NANOG thread:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/nanog/users/123027
But have not found anything worthwhile on the matter over the past 2 years.

Both Quagga and BIRD have developed since the comparison in 2010:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/news/?group=quagga
http://bird.network.cz/?o_news

But has anyone performed a more recent comparsion?  Does Quagga still
suffer from performance issues vs BIRD?  Has anyone performed an RFC
conformance test to see who complies more strictly to all the various RFCs?

If BIRD is so much better than Quagga why is there no instance at Oregon:
http://www.routeviews.org/

I also notice that BSD Router Project supports both:
http://bsdrp.net/bsdrp
How well do the two coexist at the same time?  Any migration issues going
from Quagga to BIRD? Any feedback appreciated.

We now take you back to cable wars :-)

Thanks,
Hank