No subject

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Aug 22 03:31:02 UTC 2012

On Aug 21, 2012, at 16:22 , George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM,  <goemon at anime.net> wrote:

>>> Back when I was at Berkeley, we used to punish offenders by routing
>>> their packets out to Finland and back (before Finland's net admins
>>> figured out what we were doing and quite rightly complained).
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a very lightly used, long long low bandwidth link
>>> they can dedicate to The Cause?
>>

>> I'm thinking wire cutters would be more effective.
>>
>> -Dan
>
> No, no, no no.
>
> The objective is to maximize wasted spammer time.  The trick is to not
> just disconnect them - that happens every day, they just move on.
> It's to make their life irritating, painful, and less productive, to
> the point where time they'd be spending getting new business and
> working on new anti-filtering technology is spent corresponding with
> net providers and doing network quality checks, wondering if they
> should or have to bail out of a now flaky network.  With just the
> right mixture, you can waste five, ten, twenty times more of their
> time with a carefully engineered glitch than you can just chopping
> them off.

Reminds me of the cmd.exe CGI PERL script I wrote once...

I noticed I was constantly getting people trying to execute CMD.EXE on my
linux web server. So, instead of filling up my logs with 404s, I wrote a little
PERL script to send them a copy of the compiled 64-bit linux kernel
one octet at a time with 5 seconds between octets. It truly amazed me
how many of the bots would sit there patiently receiving dribs and drabs
of traffic until the entire 8+Mbyte kernel was transmitted.

Owen