No subject

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 23:22:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM,  <goemon at anime.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012, George Herbert wrote:

>>> I'm hoping for something a tad more drastic. The bozo has an upstream,
>>> and this
>>> is NANOG. :)
>>
>> Back when I was at Berkeley, we used to punish offenders by routing
>> their packets out to Finland and back (before Finland's net admins
>> figured out what we were doing and quite rightly complained).
>>
>> Does anyone have a very lightly used, long long low bandwidth link
>> they can dedicate to The Cause?
>

> I'm thinking wire cutters would be more effective.
>
> -Dan

No, no, no no.

The objective is to maximize wasted spammer time.  The trick is to not
just disconnect them - that happens every day, they just move on.
It's to make their life irritating, painful, and less productive, to
the point where time they'd be spending getting new business and
working on new anti-filtering technology is spent corresponding with
net providers and doing network quality checks, wondering if they
should or have to bail out of a now flaky network.  With just the
right mixture, you can waste five, ten, twenty times more of their
time with a carefully engineered glitch than you can just chopping
them off.

They've already factored wire cutters in; raise the bar.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com