Return two locations or low TTL [was: DNS caches that support partitioning ?]

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Aug 20 12:25:52 UTC 2012

Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2012, at 17:37 , Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>
> > Which is why the DNS supports multiple address records.  Clients
> > don't have to wait a minutes to fallover to a second address.  One
> > doesn't have to point all the addresses returned to the closest
> > data center.  One can get sub-second fail over in clients as HE
> > code shows.
>
> I'm afraid I am not familiar with "HE code", so perhaps I am being silly
> here.

Mark is referring to "happy eyeballs":
http://www.isc.org/community/blog/201101/how-to-connect-to-a-multi-homed-server-over-tcp

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.