DNS Changer items

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Aug 15 15:01:15 UTC 2012

On 8/15/12 6:55 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> While I understand that in the face of IPv4 exhaustion long quarantine
> periods are probably no longer a good idea, I think 6 weeks is
> shockingly short.  I also think to blanket apply the quarantine is
> a little short sighted, there are cases that need a longer cooling
> off period, and this may be one of them.
I guess the question I'd pose is it going to get dramatically better if
it were longer? 12 weeks? 52?

Remediation of whatever wrong with a given prefix is an active activity,
it's not likely to go away unless the prefix is advertised.

In the case of dns changer, I would think that if you don't have working
DNS for long enough you're going to have your computer fixed or throw it
out. if you were an operator using that prefix to prevent customer
breakage you should be on notice that's not sustainable indefinitely or
indeed for much longer.