Testing 1gbps bandwidth

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Aug 14 14:43:50 UTC 2012

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 16:05:55 +0400, Luqman Kondeth said:
> No, I don't want to test just the link. I want to make sure the path in my
> ISP also has enough backplane bandwidth and isn't using some old sup32
> and thereby throttling traffic

Still the same problem - if there's a bottleneck upstream of your ISP,  you won't
be testing what you think you're testing.  (We once hit an interesting corner
case trying to use one of the speedtest.net servers - we had a clear 10G path
out through like 3 AS's in a row, the bottleneck was speedtest.net's server. :)