IPV6 Anycast for streaming

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 19:15:03 UTC 2012

From: Voice of the Blind ™ Network Operation <noc () vobradio org>
> Hello, is a anycasted Prefix a good idea for Streaming?

Maybe. I've used TCP anycast-based CDNs (CacheFly
and MaxCDN/NetDNA), and they work very well.

I observe they generally work something like this:

1. DNS resolution with long TTLs returning anycasted IPs.

2. Smaller HTTP requests served directly from anycast IP
with http keepalives enabled.

3. Large objects and streams do an application layer
redirect (HTTP or whatever stream protocol) to a DNS
name that returns unicast IPs for the node you
initially reached via anycast.

I would recommend looking at CDNs however, as
this is an area where scale does matter and you
will find it very difficult to do this better or cheaper
yourself.