Packets dropped due to ICMP off

Jason Hellenthal jhellenthal at dataix.net
Thu Aug 9 16:32:13 UTC 2012

I don't recall seeing this thread before this message but this is
nothing new. Most times you allowed to pass-thru these networks but not
directly communicate with them. Whether it be some strenuous policy put
in place by someone that still desires to provide routes back to the
community or just the vision of the administrator of that router... it
still works as intended for all other types of traffic.

Besides, blocking ICMP type 0 doesn't neccesarily bust traceroutes.

Using options (-I | -P icmp) would definately be busted but a normal
traceroute from most systems that I have been on default to UDP
datagrams.

--

 - (2^(N-1)) JJH48-ARIN