raging bulls

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Wed Aug 8 15:24:21 UTC 2012

This is a bit like an arms race.  The markets will most likely have to
level their own playing field.  That is up to them.  The markets may
like high frequency trading but if more and more traders become
disadvantaged they will act to level things out.  They also would not
like the government to step in which they are always apt to do.  The
government in general I think seems highly negative on high frequency
trading because there is some systemic risk in systems handling large
amounts of transactions at such a high rate.  We have seen tremendous
errors in the past and we are almost reaching the point where a firm
will not be able to survive a system error or could cause a cascade
effect.

The question the markets and regulators always have to ask themselves is
whether the market is fundamentally fair.  The government has the
additional duty of determining whether a market activity is detrimental
to the economy of the nation involved.  It is not for me to answer the
question of whether this should be implemented, I am just saying that it
is technically feasible to do so.

As far as locating all the servers in the same place on the same length
of cable, that apparently is not in the cards or you would not see the
high cost specialized networks from Chicago to NYC.

Steve