raging bulls

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Aug 8 14:56:23 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Brett Frankenberger <rbf+nanog at panix.com> wrote:

> Even if you execute the trades based on a GPS timestamp (I'm ignoring
> all the logistics of preventing cheating here), it doesn't matter,
> because the computer that got the information first will make the
> trading decision first.
>
>      -- Brett

Such a system would be pretty complicated because it would also have
to prevent intentional 'backdating' of trades as well.  Then you've
got the market data itself (as just mentioned) -- getting the
information first is a big part of the latency problem for the quants.

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler