BGPttH. Neustar can do it, why can't we?

Scott Helms khelms at ispalliance.net
Tue Aug 7 19:05:55 UTC 2012

The problem you're missing is that there is 0 market pressure to build
and standardize all of this.

Netconf isn't a claimed standard yet much less a functional one in the
SOHO world.  Lets assume for a moment that someone finds enough of a
reason to herd the cats that are the soho router market and gets them to
adopt Netconf or another rational method for distributed configuration,
you haven't dealt with the hardest problem.  The router configuration
isn't the most challenging one.  _What_ to communicate or configure is
the hard part and unless you're going to put the service provider in
charge of the BGP session very few businesses have the internal OR
external resources to answer these simple questions.

1. The ASN number of the two providers  //smb response, what's an ASN?  Why do I have pay for one, I already pay for Internet service.
2. The ASN to be used for the local side  //read response 1
3. The IP Address to use on the local end of each connection  //who figures this out?
4. The IP Address to peer with on each connection  //same question
5. The prefix(es) to be advertised.  //again, who figures this out?

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology