BGPttH. Neustar can do it, why can't we?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Aug 6 23:15:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> That's simply not true at all...
>
> Let's look at what it takes to configure BGP as I suggested...
>
> 1. The ASN number of the two providers
> 2. The ASN to be used for the local side
> 3. The IP Address to use on the local end of each connection
> 4. The IP Address to peer with on each connection
> 5. The prefix(es) to be advertised.

Add to that:

6. Primary A, Primary B, Balanced (routing priority via AS path prepends)
7. Optional password for each session (some ISPs require one)

Or take another tack: have the SOHO router accept a URL for each BGP
connection and have the provider build the config. Then all you enter
is your provider-assigned interface address, a DNS server address and
a URL.

Your point is well taken. A leaf node BGP configuration could be
simplified to the point where it fits on a SOHO router config page and
does not require an expert to configure.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004