BGPttH. Neustar can do it, why can't we?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Aug 6 15:19:56 UTC 2012

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> However, it causes me to ask a differnet question, how will this work in
> IPv6?  Does anyone make a dual-uplink IPv6 aware device? Ideally it
> would use DHCP-PD to get prefixes from two upstream providers and would
> make both available on the local LAN.  Conceptually it would then be
> easy to policy route traffic to the correct provider. But of course the
> problem comes down to the host, it now needs to know how to switch
> between source addresses in some meaningful way, and the router needs to
> be able to signal it.

There are working groups in the IETF looking into how to make this work,
"homenet", "v6ops" and a few others. After a while one runs into protocol
extensions or behavioural changes and things become non-trivial.

> As messy as IPv4 NAT is, it seems like a case where IPv6 NAT might be a
> relatively clean solution.  Are there other deployable, or nearly
> deployable solutions?

Yes, there are a lot of possible options. Feel free to participate in the
process. There is nothing that is deployable right now though.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se